Meal Plan FAQs
Do I have to have a meal plan?
Depending on your academic classification or where you live, you may be required to have a meal plan. See the policies below.
- Freshman (living on campus): All-Access Plan
- Sophomore (living on campus): All-Access, 175/400 or 150/300 plan
(NOTE: You will be assigned the All-Access Plan by default, so if you want the 175/400 or 150/300 you must go into MyGate under the Money tab and make the change.)
- Junior (living on campus)*: May purchase any plan. No requirement.
*Juniors receiving Regional Tuition Discount: If you do not have a Housing contract, you must choose a Copper, Platinum, Unlimited, 175/400 or 150/300 plan.
- Senior (living on campus): May purchase any plan. No Requirement.
- Commuter – any academic status: May purchase any plan. No requirement.
Can I be exempt from a meal plan?
To be exempt from the meal plan requirement, you must complete an exemption form within the first month of classes. Since exemptions are only valid for one semester, you must reapply at the start of each term. Download the form here or request one at the Dining Services Office on the first floor of the Curris Center. Please return it to the office or mail to 101 Curris Center, Murray, KY 42071.
Freshmen and sophomore students (defined as students who have compiled fewer than 60 hours of college credit) are required to have a meal plan for at least four semesters. Exempted from this policy are students who:
1. Have reached their 21st birthday prior to the first day of registration.
2. Are veterans of at least two years' active military service.
3. Are married.
4. Commute to school daily from the permanent, legal residence of their parents (within 50 miles).
5. Have resided in residence halls for four semesters, excluding summers.
Exemptions are rarely granted if you do not meet the listed criteria.
Housing and Meal charges are automatically assessed to all freshman and sophomores. Students that are commuting from home (not living in a residential college) must submit a housing exemption to the Housing Office. It is YOUR responsibility to check your MyGate student account to make sure these charges are removed.
How do I use my meal plan?
Your meal plan is accessed with your RacerCard (MSU ID). To make a purchase at any campus dining venue, all you need to do is swipe the card.
Meals on the 150/300 and 175/400 plans, and guest meals on the All-Access plan are valid only at Winslow Dining Hall. For those on the 175/400 or 150/300 plan more than one Winslow meal can be used a time, for example to treat friends and family to dinner. You may spend as many meals per day as you wish.
Flex dollars are only valid at Murray State campus dining venues. They are not subject to Kentucky sales tax except at Fast Track and Pony Express, so you receive an automatic 6 percent discount with every flex purchase.
Can I change my plan?
If you are having difficulty with the use of your plan or have purchased a plan that
now seems too big for your purchasing habits, please contact the RacerCard office at 270.809.3003 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, to see what options may be available.
*Tuesday, August 22nd will be the last day to add new flex/meal plan in order for the charge to be added to your MyGate account. Any new flex/meal plan added after the August 22nd deadline must be paid in full by stopping in the Racer Card/Dining Office on the 1st floor of the Curris Center.
*For the Spring 2018 semester the date will be Tuesday, January 23rd. Any new flex/meal plan added after the January 23rd deadline must be paid in full. We accept cash, credit card, or check as a form of payment for a new flex/meal plan. You may make changes to an existing flex/meal plan until February 9th.
Is there a limit to how many Winslow meals I may use a time?
What are flex dollars?
Can I purchase more meals or flex dollars?
How do I know how many meals or flex dollars I have left?
Do meals and flex dollars carry over to the following semester?
Can I receive a refund on my meal plan?
What if I have food allergies or special dietary needs?
What do I do if I lose my RacerCard?
What forms of payment does Dining Services accept?
Can I get food "to go" from Winslow?
Winslow Dining Hall does provide to-go meals. If requested from the cashier at time of payment, Winslow will provide one beverage cup, a to-go box and utensils.
- Up to two entrées and unlimited sides may be taken out of Winslow, as long as everything is inside the provided (and 100% biodegradable, we might add) box.
- Unlimited plan holders will be limited to seven to-go meals a week.
- To-go meals are only intended for use when a student does not have time to dine in. Abuse of this policy will result in a loss of to-go privileges.